- This event has passed.
2021 Annual Meeting
May 27, 2021 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Resilience is the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties. It is toughness. It is the ability to spring back into shape after being tested or strained. Despite the challenges of the past year, the KLC has been the definition of resilience as we continue to empower adults to reach their full potential by improving their literacy and language skills.
The KLC’s volunteer tutors have met 100% virtually for more than a year with learners, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Through all of the uncertainty, frustrations, and technical difficulties that can come from virtual learning, 235 adult learners have persevered to reach their academic, professional, and personal goals. Additionally:
- The KLC has led the way in bridging the digital divide; the Laptop Loaning Program has provided nearly 100 laptops and access to Wi-Fi for learners who need help connecting to services.
- The Virtual Learning Center offers classes in Writing, English as a Second Language, Digital Literacy, Citizenship, Job Opportunity and Basic Skills (JOBS), and Health Literacy.
- The online Parent Literacy Together program helps parents become more confident and capable first teachers of their children through multi-generational learning approaches.
- Learners also have access to self-paced, web-based instruction and access to KLC navigators who work tirelessly to remove barriers so the learning never stops.
- We’ve welcomed new virtual tutors and established a Peer Mentor program, setting a new standard for volunteer service.
- Our strategic partnerships continue to thrive, such as our intensive collaborations with Western Michigan University to deliver innovative adult learning solutions that improve outcomes in the community.
Resilience in adult learning permeates everything we do as a literacy leader in Kalamazoo County. Join us as we take a look at the past year’s successes, and present our vision for the future toward a fully literate community.
RSVP: [email protected]