2021 Kalamazoo ScrabbleFest
Saturday, October 9, 2021 | 12:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. | Radisson Plaza Hotel
10th kalamazoo scrabble fest
The Kalamazoo Literacy Council is hosting the 10th Kalamazoo SCRABBLE® Fest on October 9th, 2021, at the Radisson Plaza Hotel, to benefit adult literacy. Each year, players meet up for an exciting day of gaming to raise awareness and funds that directly serve adult learners across the region. This is the KLC’s largest fundraiser. For our 10th anniversary, we’re ramping up the energy in a new, bigger venue with more fun than ever!
Serving a need
In Kalamazoo County, 25,000 people –1 in 8 adults — struggle to read, which means they are not able to apply for jobs, manage their health, or help their children learn. In fact, research shows that children of parents with low literacy levels have a 72% chance of being at the lowest reading levels themselves. In 2021, we introduced the Read and Seed Interpretive Learning Center, a community garden and outdoor classroom designed to inspire multi-generational learning. The site blends Health and Parent Literacy and welcomes tutors, volunteers, adult learners and their families. All KLC literacy services are FREE and we are currently serving hundreds of learners across the region through the Virtual Learning Center and in-person classes.
- Individuals: $25
- Corporate 4-person teams: $200
- New! Online: $5 for up to 3 submissions or $25 for unlimited submissions. More submissions = a greater chance to win!
- How to play online: Play our online Scrabble game, in the ScrabbleGo app, or on Pogo. Take a photo or screenshot of your final score and email it to [email protected] with the subject line “Scrabble raffle entry.” Each submission will be entered into a raffle for an awesome prize. Submissions will be accepted during event hours only.
All participants must follow official Scrabble ® rules displayed at each table. The Just for Fun division will consist of three 45-minute games. Each Competitive division player will have 2.5 minutes per turn.
There are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies for the Just for Fun, Competitive, and Teams divisions.
Calling all volunteers!
We are seeking volunteers to serve as hosts, word judges, time keepers, score keepers, score runners, and to help with set up/tear down. This is a great opportunity to have fun supporting an important cause. Volunteers will receive a tshirt. Volunteer orientation will be held below (refreshments provided):
Thursday, October 7
6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
420 E. Alcott St
Covid Safety Protocols:
- Masks strongly recommended
- Hand sanitizer provided at each table
- Limited room capacity; socially distanced game stations
- Enhanced ventilation system in the event space
The Radisson is located at 100 W. Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo, 49007. Parking is available on the street or in the hotel parking ramp for a discounted price of $5 for the day. Enter the hotel through the skywalk (3rd floor of the ramp) or through the front main doors. There will be signage directing you to the event space in the Kalamazoo Room on the lower level.
Donate to the klc
Can’t attend Scrabble Fest but still want to support the KLC? All gifts are welcomed and greatly appreciated. 100% of proceeds will directly benefit free adult literacy programs and services. Please use the button below to donate.
Thank you to our financial and in-kind sponsors!
- Keith and Julie Lewandowski
- Community Services Charity
- Paula M. Alridge
- Honorable Julie M. Rogers and Dr. Ed Orloff
- Caricatures by Kenjji
- J.E.C.K.S. Family Foundation
Kalamazoo Literacy Council is a member organization of ProLiteracy.
Follow us on social media!